Login for full access to ABQJournal.com



New Users: Subscribe here


Close

UPDATED: Dog-Bitten Boy Out of Hospital

........................................................................................................................................................................................

A 12-year-old Chaparral boy who was attacked by a pack of German shepherds and a terrier-mix last Sunday was released Thursday from an El Paso-area hospital, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.

The five dogs believed to have attacked the boy as he walked home from a friend’s house were all in quarantine, where they will remain for 10 days, Kelly Jameson of the Dona Ana County Sheriff’s Office told the Sun-News.

A terrier-mix is believed to have bitten the boy — not a German shepherd as was earlier thought — and the dog was captured this week, the Sun-News said.

The dog’s owner, 36-year-old Fernando Mendoza, likely will be charged with owning a vicious and/or dangerous dog, failure to provide proof of vaccination and failure to obtain a multiple animal permit for owning more than six domestic animals, the paper reported.

The boy sustained more than 50 bites to his body, according to the report.


5:04am 9/26/12 — Chaparral Boy Mauled by 5 Dogs

LAS CRUCES (AP) — A 12-year-old Chaparral boy is recovering in a hospital after being mauled by five dogs and suffering more than 50 bites.

Dona Ana County authorities say charges are pending against the owner of the German shepherds who hasn’t provided proof of vaccinations yet for any of the animals.

The boy was walking home from a friend’s house Sunday night when he was attacked. Witnesses in the area came to the boy’s rescue and called for help.

The name of the boy hasn’t been released. Authorities say the victim was in stable condition Tuesday.

County investigators say the dogs were allegedly running loose when the attack happened. Four of the five dogs have been captured and investigators still are looking for the fifth German shepherd.

Comments

Top
Read previous post:
Taos Pueblo Man Acquitted of Rape

A Taos Pueblo man was found not guilty by a jury last week of a 2011 rape, kidnapping and aggravated......

Close