Accused killer Noe Torres asked to stay jailed at the Curry County Detention Center despite his being attacked there last week, but state District Judge Ted L. Hartley denied the request, the Clovis News Journal reported.
Hartley, citing “significant problems” at the troubled jail, denied Torres’ request, and granted District Attorney Matt Chandler’s motion to move Torres to a state prison near Hobbs, the News Journal said.
In a brief statement to the judge, Torres denied killing 10-year-old Carlos Perez in Clovis in 2005, and he said he had “no hard feelings toward the family” for what investigators said was an attack on Torres at the jail last Thursday by inmate Richard Silva, who claimed he was a relative of the slain boy, the paper reported.
Members of the Perez family, however, say they don’t believe Silva is a relative, according to the News Journal.
Hartley said he would keep Torres housed in a more secure state prison but said he may reconsider if problems persist in preparing for the murder trial, which is now scheduled to begin on Jan. 28, the News Journal said.
Torres was the target of a six-year manhunt that ended with his arrest on Jan. 25 near a religious compound in Chihuahua, Mexico, the paper reported.
12/1/12 — Uncle Accused of Curry Jail Assault
Journal Staff Report
CLOVIS – Authorities say a former international fugitive charged with the death of a 10-year-old Clovis boy was assaulted by the child’s uncle within hours of arriving at the Curry County jail.
Jail workers placed Noe Torres in a holding cell near one occupied by the uncle, Richard Silva, Undersheriff Wesley Waller said. He said Silva asked the staff to use the bathroom and began punching Torres as he passed by. Torres was chained to a bench but wasn’t seriously hurt.
Authorities say Torres was part of a gang that fired several bullets into a home in September 2005 that killed Carlos Perez. Torres was captured in Mexico in January and returned to New Mexico. He’s been in state custody but was brought to Clovis for court hearings.