PRESIDENT OBAMA recently announced to the world that he is committed to creating his legacy as a climate leader.
In his inauguration speech he used carefully chosen words to clearly state his determination to do this. He said that:
1. America “will” respond to climate change; and
2. America “must” lead the transition to alternative energy.
“Will” and “must” are powerful words.
If you listened to all of his speech, however, you heard him explain that he does not have the power to carry out his commitment without the “active” support of the American people. The key word here is “active.” He needs to see a demonstration of strong support from us through our actions and words before he can exercise his power.
It’s up to us now! What can we do?
1. In order of effectiveness: a) Write handwritten letters; b) telephone; c) mail printed letters; d) send emails; and e) sign petitions to Obama, your U.S. representatives and your state governor and representatives.
2. Write “letters to the editor.”
3. Contact organizations such as 350, the Sierra Club and the American Lung Association, and ask what you can do.