4:17 p.m. update:
Interstate 40 will stay closed from Tramway to the Texas state line until at least Tuesday morning, officials just announced.
New Mexico roads are largely clear, but law enforcement and transportation officials in Texas have asked State Police here to keep roads closed, a news release states.
For constant update, call the state Department of Transportation at 511, or visit http://nmroads.com.
4:00 pm update:
(AP) – A winter storm produced blizzard conditions in eastern New Mexico, with the greatest impact reported along Interstate 40.
A stretch of eastbound I-40 between Moriarty and near the Texas line remained closed Monday afternoon due to icy conditions. State police were diverting tractor-trailer traffic to the state fairgrounds in Albuquerque, where truckers could wait out the weather.
The interstate is open to westbound traffic.
The National Weather Service says there are snowfall reports of 8-10 inches between Tucumcari on the north and Clovis and Portales on the south.
Drifts of up to 5 feet have been reported along highways in Quay County.
Schools in Clovis and Portales were closed Monday, while schools in Santa Fe and part of the Albuquerque district opened late.
Forecasters say more snow and strong winds are expected Tuesday.
12:20 pm update:
According to The New Mexico State Police, I-40 eastbound from the Louisiana NE exit in Albuquerque will remain closed until at least 3 p.m.
The New Mexico Department of Public Safety is opening I-40 eastbound from Santa Rosa to Tucumcari only. I-40 eastbound out of Tucumcari will remain closed until conditions improve in Texas.
7:45 am update: Due to inclement weather, all Santa Fe city offices, recreation centers, libraries, and the Municipal Court will open at 10 a.m. Monday.
7:03 am update: The NM Department of Transportation is reporting these major interstate closures:
- I-40 Louisiana to Sedillo Hill – CLOSED – EASTBOUND LANES.
- I-40 & NM 41 – Moriarty – CLOSED – EASTBOUND LANES.
- I-40 Mile Marker 274 to Mile Marker 240 (westbound lane from Santa Rosa to Moriarty). CLOSED. Snowing heavy, poor visibility, accumulating on roadway. Crews are out plowing, salting, and cindering.
- I-40 Mile marker 274 to Mile marker 332 (Santa Rosa to Tucumcari). CLOSED. Snow accumulating on roadway, blowing snow. Crews are out plowing, salting, and cindering.
- I-40 Mile Marker 332 to Mile Marker 373 (Tucumcari to San Jon). CLOSED. Snowing heavy poor visibility, accumulating on roadway, blowing snow.
For latest conditions visit NM Roads.
6:30 am update: Moriarity-Edgewood Schools and Estancia Schools closed. This is the latest on school delays and closures.
Area school delays
Albuquerque Schools: No delay
APS East Mountain Schools: 2 hour delay
Santa Fe Public Schools: 2 hour delay
Moriarity-Edgewood Schools: Closed
Estancia Schools: Closed