Login for full access to ABQJournal.com



New Users: Subscribe here


Close

Updated: Police ID man accused of shooting his ex after court hearing

Rastice Burdex. (MDC)
Rastice Burdex. (MDC)
........................................................................................................................................................................................

April 17, 9:15 a.m. Police have confirmed that 20-year-old Rastice Burdex is the suspect in yesterday’s shooting on Walter NE.

APD detectives are still searching for Burdex this morning. He is accused of shooting his ex-girlfriend in the stomach outside her home yesterday.
———————————————

Child abuse and domestic violence charges were dropped early Tuesday against an Albuquerque man when his ex-girlfriend failed to appear to testify against him at his trial in Metropolitan Court.

Just hours later, authorities say, the same man drove by the woman’s home, shooting her in the stomach. Several children were nearby when the shooting happened.

The woman was taken to University of New Mexico Hospital and was expected to survive after surgery, authorities said.

Detectives from the Albuquerque Police Department Gang Unit and Repeat Offender Project were searching for the suspect late Tuesday.

Police obtained an arrest warrant for the man charging him with numerous felonies related to the shooting, including two counts of aggravated battery against a household member, five counts of child abuse and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Police officials confirmed that the woman who was shot had been the alleged victim in the case that was dismissed Tuesday. In that case, the man was facing charges of battery against a household member, eluding or fleeing from police and three counts of cruelty to children stemming from an incident that took place last October.

According to online Metro Court records, that case was dismissed because the “prosecution was unable to proceed.” It had been continued twice earlier this year.

The suspect also has another case pending in state District Court, online records show. In that case, he is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and 10 counts of child abuse that resulted in neither death nor great bodily harm.

Shortly after noon on Tuesday, police responded to reports of a shooting in the 1300 block of Walter NE, officials said. The woman told officers who arrived that she was standing outside her home when her ex-boyfriend drove by and fired several shots, striking a car and striking her.

Several children were in and around the residence at the time of the shooting, police said.

The trial in Metro Court had been scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday, according to court records.
— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal

Comments

Top
Read previous post:
Boston Marathon bombings – videos and interactive

Video: Boston official on bombing investigation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hoPVXKlY4&feature=youtu.be   Explosions On Boylston Street Near Boston Marathon Viewing Stands Source: CBS Boston......

Close