The suspect in the kidnapping of a 4-year-old girl from a North Valley apartment complex has been arrested on kidnapping and child abuse charges.
Rio Rancho Police say David Jesus Hernandez turned himself in after seeing news reports and that he was then handed over to Albuquerque Police.
Update 1:32 p.m.
Albuquerque Police say they have located the man they were seeking in connection with Wednesday’s attempted abduction of a 5-year-0ld girl from a North Valley apartment complex and are interviewing him.
Update: 11:15 a.m.
Albuquerque police have identified a suspect in the attempted abduction of a 5-year-old girl last night and are asking for the public’s help in finding the man.
Police are searching for David Jesus Hernandez, 31. Detectives believe that, in addition to the Wednesday night kidnapping, which took place around 6:30 p.m. at an apartment complex on the 1700 block of Indian School NW, Hernandez may also have been involved in the kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl at the same apartment complex last week.
Hernandez has not been charged in either crime, and there is no warrant out at this time for his arrest, according to police and court records.
A search of online court records shows that Hernandez was charged in 2002 with aggravated battery. That charge was later dismissed because the alleged victim was unavailable to testify against him, court records show.
In 2008, he was charged with a handful of felonies, all stemming from the same incident, including: tampering with evidence, resisting or evading a police officer, shooting at or from a motor vehicle and negligent use of a deadly weapon, court records show. He later pleaded no contest to the tampering and eluding charges, and the rest were dismissed. He was sentenced to 30 months of supervised probation in that case.
Anyone with information regarding David Hernandez’s whereabouts is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 843-STOP.
Update: 5:33 a.m.
Albuquerque police said that the suspect in Wednesday’s attempted abduction of the 5-year-old girl matches the physical description of a man who allegedly kidnapped a 6-year-old from the same apartment complex last week.
Police say the child taken last week was forced into a car where “some type of sexual activity” was said to have taken place, KRQE said. That child was able to escape and tell police what happened.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about last week’s incident to contact them in hopes that it may help apprehend the suspect in Wednesday’s incident, News 13 reported.
–This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal
Search on for suspected abductor
By Patrick Lohmann/Journal Staff Writer
The mother of a 5-year-old girl who was forced into a car by a would-be abductor chased the man for more than seven miles through the city, eventually ramming the suspect’s car to a halt and triggering a Wednesday night manhunt in Southeast Albuquerque.
Police said the incident developed around 6:30 p.m. in the North Valley when the suspect shoved the girl into his gray sedan. He pushed her out about half a block later along the 1700 block of Indian School NW. She was not injured.
When the girl’s mother saw her child being abducted, she jumped in her four-door Chevrolet sedan and chased him, not knowing at the time that the kidnapper had let the girl out of the car, Albuquerque Police Department spokesman Robert Gibbs said.
The woman followed the suspect on Interstate 40, where he tried to fake an exit on Carlisle Boulevard, Gibbs said.
Despite his attempts at losing the mother, she eventually stopped the driver near Kathryn and San Mateo SE.
“She essentially pitted him,” Gibbs said, referring to a police maneuver that involves ramming a car to stop a chase.
The suspect then ran, prompting a “methodical” police search of the neighborhood that was ongoing shortly before midnight Wednesday. The mother was not injured.
The police perimeter spanned several blocks and involved multiple APD units, including the tactical, gang, K-9 and helicopter teams.
The suspect is described as a Native American or Hispanic man in his mid-20s.
“At this point in time it appears to be a complete stranger abduction,” APD Chief Ray Schultz said outside the search perimeter, KRQE-TV reported.