Login for full access to ABQJournal.com



New Users: Subscribe here


Close

Las Cruces’ only topless bar could open in August

........................................................................................................................................................................................

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — A man planning the only topless bar in Las Cruces says he hopes to open the club in August.

Jesse Hernandez had met resistance from city officials earlier in the project, but said he’s happy with how his plans are now progressing.

The Las Cruces Sun-News reports that the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission in September denied a special use permit to Hernandez for the purpose of opening a strip club.

Nearly two months later, however, the City Council overturned the Planning and Zoning Commission recommendation.

But a split vote on a liquor license pushed that decision to state regulators.

Hernandez says the state had approved his liquor license.

The last strip club to operate in Las Cruces was open briefly in the 1980s, and it drew public criticism.

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

Top
Read previous post:
UNM’s Bairstow delivers, leads Australia to gold medal game

UNM's Cameron Bairstow came up big in the clutch moments Monday morning, leading his Australin Boomers team past Serbia, 65-62,...

Close