Norwegian boxer Cecilia Braekhus, who in December called out Albuquerque’s Holly Holm in no uncertain teams, has thrown a possible monkey wrench into plans for a Holm-Braekhus showdown.
Braekhus on Friday announced she will face American Mia St. John in Denmark on April 13. That bout wouldn’t necessarily preclude a Holm-Braekhus fight, but it would seem to complicate matters.
The World Boxing Council has ordered a welterweight title fight between Holm and Braekhus, the latter being the WBC champion at that weight (147 pounds). If the two fighters’ promoters can’t come to an agreement, the WBC says it will conduct a purse bid on Feb. 15.
Braekhus in December offered to meet Holm in July in Las Vegas, Nev. But Lenny Fresquez, Holm’s promoter, says that if the bout goes to a purse bid, it would have to be held no later than May 15.
Are Braekhus and her promotional firm, Sauerland Event of Germany, defying the WBC? Or do they still intend to defend against Holm in the near future, St. John or no St. John? This linked-to article from a Norwegian publication (when translated by Google) says Braekhus and Sauerland still hope to make the Holm fight but says “the parties are in discussions on a deal, but so far it is not clear when the two boxing stars can meet.”
Holm fought St. John at Isleta Casino & Resort in December 2005, winning every round en route to a unanimous decision. St. John is now 45 years old. Braekhus, unbeaten in 21 fights, is 31.
Friday evening, Fresquez said news of the Braekhus-St. John fight took him by surprise. He said he has not heard from the WBC regarding how a Holm-Braekhus fight might be affected.