ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The New Mexico Lottery Authority’s board of directors is still working out details on any compensation that might be due recently fired chief executive officer Tom E. Romero, lottery spokeswoman Linda Hamlin said Tuesday.
“They hope to have those details finalized by the end of the week,” Hamlin said.
Following a 70-minute closed executive session held Nov. 13 at lottery headquarters, the seven-member, governor-appointed board voted unanimously to terminate Romero’s contract, which was not scheduled to end until July 31, 2015.
No explanation was given for firing Romero, and both Romero and board chairman Dan Salzwedel declined to discuss the termination after the meeting.
Later that day, the board issued a statement thanking Romero “for his many years of devoted service to the lottery.”
Hamlin said Tuesday she could not confirm an online report that said Romero would continue to receive his regular pay through the end of his contract.
His annual salary was $165,000 per year, Hamlin said.
Romero, who had been the lottery’s executive vice president of security since its inception in 1996, had been CEO since June 1, 2006.
He was interim CEO for seven months prior to that.
Before being named interim CEO, Romero had been the lottery’s executive vice president of security since its inception in 1996.
Prior to joining the state lottery, Romero was in law enforcement and served as the bureau chief of the Law Enforcement Academy and Special Investigations Division of the New Mexico Department of Public Safety.