ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Sparks flying from welders at Excel Manufacturing ignited a fire on a 5 foot by 5 foot pile of magnesium, and 10 workers were evacuated from the business near Central and Eubank Monday, according to the Albuquerque Fire Department.
Department spokeswoman Melissa Romero said sparks flew into the metal fabrication shop’s recycling pile, which then caught fire. The pile, made up of magnesium, was brought outside and firefighters are extinguishing it, Romero said.
No injuries were reported.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, magnesium fires can be difficult to extinguish.