- Manzano’s baseball team won eight games in 2013. On Tuesday of this week, the Monarchs posted their ninth win of this season, beating Cibola 10-5. Casey Cerutti went 3-for-3 in the victory.
- Volcano Vista’s softball team belted four home runs to beat St. Pius 11-2 on Tuesday.
- La Cueva’s boys tennis team improved to 9-0 on Tuesday, beating Manzano 9-0.
- On Wednesday, Rio Grande, Valley and Albuquerque High opened the District 5-5A baseball campaign with victories. West Mesa, Atrisco Heritage and Albuquerque High’s softball teams also won 5-5A openers; the Bulldogs demolished Highland 33-0 in three innings.
- Sandia’s softball team posted a mild 3-2 upset Thursday over Cleveland; Desiree Madrid drove in all three runs for the Matadors.
- With district play starting next week, the La Cueva and Eldorado baseball teams won big on Thursday. The Eagles got three RBIs from Jonah Mestas in a 10-4 decision over Cibola, while Jesse Becton homered for the Bears in a 12-2 rout of defending 4A state champion St. Pius.
- Today: La Cueva’s baseball team visits Volcano Vista at 2 p.m., and 4A softball power Aztec has two games at Volcano Vista, starting at noon.
- Monday: One of the most important track and field events, the Marilyn Sepulveda Meet of Champions, is at the University of New Mexico. Field finals begin at 3 p.m., running finals at 4:15.
- Tuesday: District 1-5A’s baseball and softball races get started. In baseball, it’s Cibola at Rio Rancho and Volcano Vista at Cleveland. In softball, Rio Rancho and Volcano Vista are the home teams.
However, those don’t figure to be the most entertaining prep matchups of the day. The boys and girls tennis teams from La Cueva and Eldorado have been rampaging through their schedules and collide Tuesday. The boys square off at Eldorado, the girls at La Cueva, both at 3:30 p.m. Those four teams are a combined 39-3.
- Wednesday: District 2-5A baseball and softball begins. In baseball, Sandia is at La Cueva and Manzano goes to Eldorado. The Matadors and Monarchs get home games against the same opponents in softball.