Login for full access to ABQJournal.com



New Users: Subscribe here


Close

Vets release lists of 10 most common poison hazards for dogs, cats

........................................................................................................................................................................................

FARMINGTON – The veterinarians and toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline have released their top 10 list of household items that generated the most poison consultations for dogs and cats in 2013. The items below are presented in order of frequency, with No. 1 being the item that caused the most emergency calls to Pet Poison Helpline.

Top 10 poisons for dogs

1. Chocolate: Dark equals dangerous! Bakers and dark chocolate are the most toxic, and milk chocolate can be dangerous if ingested in large amounts.

2. Xylitol: This sweetener found in sugarless chewing gum and candy, medications and nasal sprays causes a rapid drop in blood sugar and liver failure only in dogs (not cats).

3. NSAIDS: Ibuprofen, naproxen and so on, found in products such as Advil, Motrin and Aleve, are not easily metabolized by dogs. Ingestions result in stomach ulcers and kidney failure.

4. Over-the-counter cough, cold and allergy medications. Those that contain acetaminophen or decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, are particularly toxic.

5. Rodenticides (mouse poison): These may cause internal bleeding (brodifacoum, bromadiolone and so on) or brain swelling (bromethalin), even in small amounts.

6. Grapes and raisins: These harmless human foods cause kidney damage in dogs.

7. Insect bait stations: These rarely cause poisoning in dogs. The bigger risk is bowel obstruction when dogs swallow the plastic casing.

8. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications: Amphetamines such as Adderall, Concerta, Dexedrine and Vyvanse can cause tremors, seizures, cardiac problems and death in pets.

9. Glucosamine joint supplements: Overdoses of tasty products such as Cosequin and Move Free typically only cause diarrhea. However, in rare cases, liver failure can develop.

10. Oxygen absorbers and silica gel packets: Iron-containing oxygen absorbers found in food packages like beef jerky or pet treats can cause iron poisoning. Silica gel packs, found in new shoes, purses or backpacks, is rarely a concern.

Top 10 toxins for cats

1. Lilies: Plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, tiger and Asiatic lilies, cause kidney failure in cats. All cat owners need to be made aware of these highly toxic plants, say Pet Poison Helpline experts.

2. Household cleaners: Most general-purpose cleaners, such as Windex and 409, are fairly safe, but concentrated products such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners can cause chemical burns.

3. Flea and tick spot-on for dogs: Those that are pyrethroid-based (Zodiak, K9 Advantix, Sergeant’s) can cause tremors and seizures and can be deadly to cats.

4. Antidepressants: Cymbalta and Effexor topped Pet Poison Helpline’s antidepressant list in 2013. Cats seem strangely drawn to these medications, which can cause severe feline neurologic and cardiac effects on ingestion.

5. NSAIDS: Cats are even more sensitive than dogs to drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen. Even veterinary-specific NSAIDS, such as carprofen and meloxicam, should be used with caution.

6. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications: These drugs have the same toxic effects in cats as in dogs.

7. Over-the-counter cough, cold and allergy medications: Those that contain acetaminophen are particularly toxic to cats, as they damage red blood cells and cause liver failure.

8. Plants containing insoluble calcium oxalate crystals: Common houseplants such as peace lilies, philodendron and pothos can cause oral and upper GI irritation, foaming at the mouth and inflammation when ingested, but severe symptoms are uncommon.

9. Household insecticides: Most of these household sprays and powders are fairly safe, but it’s best to keep cats away from plants after application until the products have dried or settled.

10. Glow sticks and glow jewelry: These irresistible “toys” contain a chemical called dibutyl phthalate. When it contacts the mouth, pain and excessive foaming occurs, but the signs quickly resolve when the cat eats food or drinks water.

If you suspect your pet has gotten into a potential toxin, call your veterinarian and/or Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680.

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

Top
Read previous post:
Ben Lujan
Ben Lujan, wife are subject of new movie to be shown at film fest

Just when Ben Lujan, the late speaker of the New Mexico House of Representatives, is back in the news, there’s......

Close