Par 4, 350 yards from the blue (middle) tees
So you’ve had a strong front 9 at Sandia, which – as always – is in gorgeous shape from tee-to-green. Now it’s on to No. 10, and what looks to be a relatively easy par 4 because of the bowl-shaped fairway. Yes, most off-center drives will bounce toward the middle. But don’t take this for granted, and remember that you are playing uphill into a picturesque view of the Sandias. The ideal drive is a right-to-left shot starting at the left bunkers.
The green is protected by a false front, bunkers on the right and behind, and a deep collection area on the left. The false front will toss your ball back down into the fairway if your approach shot is short, so make sure you have the right club and be aggressive. If the pin is in the center, play a little extra club and the ball will roll back for an easy birdie attempt.
Sandia Golf Club
• Opened: June 2005
• Director of Golf: Matt Molloy, PGA
• Head Pro: Matt Long, PGA
• Length: Blue (middle) 6,841; Black (championship) 7,755
• Par: 72
• Address: 30 Rainbow Road, Albuquerque 87113
• Phone: 505-798-3990
• Website: www.sandiagolf.com
• Greens fees: Mon-Thu $56; Fri—Sun $71. Cart fee: $15
• Specials: Twilight starts at 2 p.m., $46 Mon.-Thur.; $61 Fri.-Sun.
Sandia Golf Club No. 10