Lawyer: All 13 protesters got City Hall ban

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — All 13 protesters arrested inside the mayor’s office during last week’s sit-in are banned from City Hall, according to a civil-rights attorney working with them.

Their supporters plan a demonstration today to protest the ban, said Lawrence Kronen, the attorney.

City officials said last week that only one of the protesters, David Correia, who was charged with battery on a police officer, was prohibited from entering City Hall. That was because of a court order, they said.

But Kronen said Sunday that 12 other protesters received criminal-trespass notices from the Albuquerque Police Department, ordering them not to return. The notice includes a warning that they can face arrest if they don’t comply, he said.

Last week’s protest in the mayor’s office – intended as a demonstration against police violence – triggered cancellation of the City Council meeting that night.

Advertisement

Continue reading

It was the third disruption at City Hall since early May, when another meeting ended amid chaos as protesters tried to serve a “people’s arrest warrant” on the police chief. Another meeting included a silent demonstration in which security officers escorted out several protesters.

Correia said the battery charge he faces is without merit.

TOP |

Recent Notifications