Login for full access to ABQJournal.com



New Users: Subscribe here


Close

Person shot by deputy in Algodones is a male, 17

........................................................................................................................................................................................

The person shot and critically wounded by a Sandoval County sheriff’s deputy Thursday night in Algodones is a 17-year-old male, the Journal has learned.

New Mexico State Police and the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office have not released any more information about the circumstances behind the shooting, and they haven’t released the names of the person shot or the deputy who shot at him.

However, Sandoval County Sheriff Doug Wood said in a news conference on Friday that the person shot was holding a weapon and that deputies “engaged in dialogue” with him.

“At this point in time, our thoughts and prayers are with that young man as he continues in his fight to survive,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release.

Neighbors reached Friday said they often heard arguments coming from the house on Las Colonias Road. One neighbor said she heard five or six gunshots in a short space of time Thursday.

State Police, the agency investigating the shooting, said Friday that no deputies were injured but that the male was taken to University of Mexico Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds.

Late Thursday, Sandoval County Sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Keith Elder said dispatchers received a call after 9 p.m. reporting that shots had been fired in Algodones, a small community north of Bernalillo.

Deputies responded and more shots were fired, he said.

A resident who lives across the street from the scene told the Journal late Thursday that he heard about 10 shots, called 911 and heard more shots before going outside to see what was happening. He said he saw a man standing in front of the home across the street with his arm out and heard someone repeatedly yelling, “put the gun down.”

“The person did not flinch or drop or anything,” Richard Spence said. “I heard two shots and the person went down.”

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

Top
Read previous post:
Drowning ruled cause of death

LAS CRUCES – A Las Cruces man who drowned this summer at Elephant Butte Lake State Park suffered no other...

Close