Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Politics Notebook

Maybe easier said than done, but Lt. Gov. Diane Denish now has a big plan on the table for reducing the size and cost of New Mexico government.

 

Much of what the lone Democratic candidate to succeed Gov. Bill Richardson proposes would have to be approved by the Legislature, if she overcomes what probably will be a strong Republican challenge in November.

Denish issued her government reform plan to the media on Tuesday. She says the reforms could save $450 million over 5 years.

Major elements include:

– Cut 100 of the governor’s political hires; offer a one-time voluntary buy-out to certain groups of public employees.

— Hold companies receiving New Mexico tax incentives accountable for tangible economic development and public benefit; require companies that don’t show the benefits to return the state money; make the accountability information more available to the public.

– Create an Office of Government Accountability that would be led by a chief performance and accountability officer. This officer would report to the governor “and be charged with eliminating fraud, waste and abuse in state government.”

– Consolidate state agencies; eliminate at least four cabinet-level positions; and cut or consolidate at least 100 appointed boards and commissions.

– Reform the state’s capital outlay process to make it more directly benefit New Mexico economic development and schools; capital outlay monies would revert to the state if not put to use within two years; create a state capital outlay planning board to draft and maintain five-year, comprehensive capital outlay plans.

Denish has served nearly eight years with Gov. Bill Richardson. State spending, even after several rounds of cuts, has increased about $1.6 billion since he took office in 2003.

LAND COMMISSIONER FIELD SHRINKS: Santa Fe County Commissioner Mike Anaya, who fell short of the requisite 20 percent for ballot designation at the Democrats’ recent nominating convention, says he’s withdrawing from the race for commissioner of public lands.

Anaya threw his support to former Land Commissioner Ray Powell, who’s seeking the office again and so far is the only candidate with ballot designation for the June 1 primary election.

On the Republican side, rancher Matthew Rush of Portales has been named to the ballot.

John Robertson is the Journal’s politics editor.  He can be reached at jrobertson@abqjournal.com or 505-823-3911.