Santa Fe City Councilor Miguel Chavez announced Wedensday he plans to seek a seat on the Santa Fe County Commission.
He said he’ll compete for the District 2 post being vacated by Virginia Vigil. Vigil is nearing the end of the two terms allowed under county law.
Chavez leaves city government in March. A three-term councilor, Chavez decided against running for re-election after his home address was shifted into District 1 from District 3 during redistricting earlier this summer.
Chavez said there’s quite a bit of geographical and population overlap between his old city district and the county area he hopes to represent. He said he’s also served on joint city-county committees and worked on issues that affect both entities.
“I feel that i really straddled that fence, so to speak, between the city and county my whole life. It’s been part of my community involvement from the very beginning, and so it seems to be the obvious next step if I were to pursue elected office and contiue to do some of the work I’ve been doing as a city councilor,” Chavez said.
The filing date for candidates running for county office is March 30. The primaries are in June.
Here’s Chavez briefly explaining why he decided to run for County Commission:
Reprint story -- Email the reporter at khay@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-992-6290
