WASHINGTON — New Mexico’s 1st Congressional District race — relatively placid so far — could soon see a big splash if some New Mexico Republicans have their way.
A spokesman for Lt. Gov. John Sanchez confirmed Wednesday that some in the state GOP are encouraging him to abandon his campaign for the U.S. Senate and run for the Republican nomination in the Albuquerque-based 1st Congressional District instead.
“I have heard that,” said Manuel Gonzales, political director of Sanchez’s Senate campaign told the Journal when asked about the speculation. “When Jon Barela announced he was not going to run in CD1, that started people talking and chattering. We’ve had some informal conversations about it.”
However, Gonzales said he doubts Sanchez will make the switch. He said Sanchez “laughed out loud” when first asked about the speculation.
“I do not believe he will do it,” Gonzales said.
Sanchez would need to make a decision in the next two weeks. Candidates for the U.S. House must file nominating petitions on Feb. 14.
The idea of switching to the U.S. House race could be appealing to Sanchez. He is widely viewed as an underdog — at least so far — in his Republican primary election race against former Rep. Heather Wilson.
Sanchez would be allowed to transfer the campaign cash he’s collected in his U.S. Senate race to a House bid, making him an immediate financial force in that primary.
Currently, former state Rep. Janice Arnold Jones and Albuquerque City Councilor Dan Lewis are the two Republicans seeking the party’s nomination in the 1st Congressional District.
— This article appeared on page C1 of the Albuquerque Journal
Reprint story -- Email the reporter at mcoleman@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 202-525-5633







