Two Albuquerque city councilors received death threats over email on Friday, and the message has been traced to an apartment in New York, Councilor Ken Sanchez said.
He and Debbie O’Malley received identical emails last week, he said.
Sanchez said he doesn’t believe the threat was triggered by any policy position in particular. He and O’Malley are both Democrats, but they don’t always agree on city issues. They’re on opposite sides of the Paseo del Norte bond debate, for example.
“You want to take these things seriously because of what happened with Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, but at the same time, I feel fairly comfortable,” Sanchez told me in a telephone interview this afternoon.
Police stepped up patrols in his neighborhood, he said.
Albuquerque police thoroughly investigated the threat, Sanchez said, and believe it came from an apartment in New York.
“I personally think it was probably just someone who had nothing better to do with their time,” Sanchez said.
-- Email the reporter at dmckay@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3566

