Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

City Hall

A city government blog by Dan McKay

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Berry: ABQ Will Keep Pushing Paseo

Mayor Richard Berry said Tuesday that he will continue to push the Paseo del Norte project forward and search for the final piece of funding needed to get it done.

His comments come a day after three city councilors blocked immediate authorization of $50 million in bonds for the project, which means the bonds must go before voters for approval later this year.

Last night’s council vote also means the city won’t be able to meet the requirements of a $10 million federal grant application, so the city will search for a way to make up that funding, as well, Berry said.

One option is to ask city voters to approve $60 million in bonds in November rather than just $50 million. The city wouldn’t necessarily have to use all $60 million if it can find the extra funding elsewhere, Berry said.

Increasing the bond issue to $60 million would boost the city’s annual debt payments on the bonds from $3 million to $3.6 million.

In any case, Berry expects voters to approve the bond issue. He recited facts and figures on how many vehicles pass through the congested Paseo and I-25 interchange every day.

“I would hope we don’t have to do a lot to sell it to voters,” Berry told reporters today. “The public consensus is very strong.”

The refusal to approve the bonds last night, however, will probably delay the project by at least six months, the mayor said. He had previously hoped construction could start in the middle of next year.

As for holding a special election before November, Berry said that option isn’t likely. A special election could cost about $500,000, and it can’t be held close to the June primary. He didn’t sound eager to cover the cost of a special election in, say, July when there’s already a general election in November.

The bonds can’t go on the June primary ballot because independent voters don’t participate in that election.


-- Email the reporter at dmckay@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3566
More in ABQnews Seeker, Albuquerque News, City Hall
Police: 1 Dead, 1 Injured In Roswell Shootings

ROSWELL — Roswell police say one man is dead and a second man was wounded. Police tell KOB-TV they're still investigating,...

Close