A former Santa Fe surgeon on Thursday pleaded no contest to charges of vehicular homicide and DWI in district court as part of a plea agreement that will keep her from spending any more time in jail.

Deborah Aaron, center, with her attorneys Kitren Fischer and Dan Cron, pleads no contest to a DWI charge this afternoon. She had been facing a vehicular homicide charge for a wreck in which a 4-year-old died. but witnesses gave different accounts of whether Aaron was at fault for the accident.
Deborah Aaron, 57, was facing up to six years in prison on the charges stemming from a Dec. 30, 2012, accident that killed a 4-year-old girl, Yuliana Aremi Reyes Vasquez.
Aaron, who spent three days in jail before being released and placed on an electronic monitoring device, was sentenced to one-year probation, required to perform 24 hours community service, pay $241 in fines and attend DWI school in Arizona, where she now resides.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Doug Couleur told Judge Michael Vigil that the prosecution agreed to the plea deal because he was not confident they could prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. He said witnesses at the scene gave contrary accounts of the wreck and accident reconstructions were inconclusive as to whether Aaron was at fault.
At least one witness told police that Yuliana’s mother ran a red light into the path of Aaron’s vehicle.
-- Email the reporter at tlast@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-992-6277
