Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

City Hall

A city government blog by Dan McKay

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Updated: Council Withdraws Paseo Bond, Minimum Wage Resolution

I’ve confirmed that the minimum-wage ballot resolution was withdrawn on a 9-0 vote. The council didn’t discuss why.

 

The decision definitely doesn’t clear things up for me. State law (and the city clerk) seem to indicate that the governing body must issue a special-election resolution if the wage is to go on the fall ballot.

 

Perhaps the council disagrees with that analysis or just wants to let it all get handled in court. The clerk already certified that supporters of the higher wage gathered enough signatures to have it placed before voters in an election.


 

In a surprising twist, Albuquerque city councilors just voted to withdraw the bill attempting to authorize the Paseo del Norte bonds through direct action, rather than an election.

Republicans Dan Lewis and Don Harris joined the four Democrats in favor of withdrawal. They said the City Council already attempted to approve the bonds earlier this year and fell one vote short. There was no indication that anybody changed their mind, so it’s better to just withdraw the bill and move on with trying to get the bonds approved in the Nov. 6 election, they said.

Brad Winter, Trudy Jones and Michael Cook voted against withdrawal. Winter said it was best to take another stab at approval and see what happens.

It looks like the minimum-wage election bill was also withdrawn. I’ll try to find out what’s going on with that.

 


-- Email the reporter at dmckay@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3566

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in ABQnews Seeker, Albuquerque News, City Hall
Breaking: Vaughan Gets 12 Years; Worse Than Billy the Kid, Judge Says

SANTA FE — Former real estate executive and convicted Ponzi schemer Doug Vaughan was sentenced to 12 years in prison...

Close