Attorney Simon Kubiak was just appointed to join the Bernalillo County Commission to replace Michelle Lujan Grisham, who resigned last week.
Kubiak, a Republican, hopes to be sworn in before tonight’s meeting. He’s a 38-year-old lawyer from the West Side.
“When the phone call came in, it was humbling to say the least,” Kubiak said. “I’m very honored that I was thought of for this position.”
He will give the Republican Party its first majority on the County Commission in about 40 years. Kubiak said he hopes to support funding for the Sheriff’s Department, government transparency and the Paseo/I-25 project.
He will serve through the end of the year. Kubiak and City Councilor Debbie O’Malley will appear on the Nov. 6 ballot for the right to fill the rest of Lujan Grisham’s unexpired term.
-- Email the reporter at dmckay@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3566
