Democratic 1st Congressional District Candidate Michelle Lujan Grisham has declined two October debates with her opponent, Republican Janice Arnold-Jones.
One event is a forum with the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce and the other a televised debate on KRQE-TV.
Chamber President Terri Cole said Lujan Grisham declined the chamber debate last week.
KRQE News Director Iain Munro said Lujan Grisham’s campaign said last week she would not appear in a debate televised on KRQE.
Lujan Grisham and Arnold-Jones already have appeared together at five forums, including a debate hosted by Congregation Albert and a forum on health care organized by Health Action New Mexico. Both candidates have confirmed at least three televised debates in October, hosted by KNME-TV, KOB-TV and KOAT-TV with the Albuquerque Journal.
Lujan Grisham campaign spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said the eight scheduled forums allow voters “to see the clear contrast” between the candidates.
“All of these debates and forums were organized over the summer, giving organizers and campaigns plenty of time to coordinate schedules and plan other campaign activities,” Gallegos said in an email.
An early September Journal Poll showed Lujan Grisham had taken a lead in the race.
Arnold-Jones’ campaign on Monday criticized Lujan Grisham for skipping the debate hosted by the state’s largest economic development organization. Missing that event suggests Lujan Grisham is avoiding discussion of economic issues, said Arnold-Jones campaign manager Rachelle Hadland.
“The really frustrating thing is that we are not having the conversation,” Hadland said. “It’s the No. 1 issue for voters in this district. It’s what both candidates listed as their top priority, so why not have that conversation? Certainly the Chamber of Commerce is the appropriate organization to host that kind of dialogue.”
— This article appeared on page A6 of the Albuquerque Journal
Reprint story -- Email the reporter at jmonteleone@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3910







