Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Hundreds of North Valley Residents Pack Conference Room to Debate Roundabout

The two sides of the roughly 250 boisterous and opinionated Albuquerque residents who packed into a conference room Thursday evening to discuss a proposed North Valley roundabout couldn’t agree on much, except that they’re facing real safety issues and that traffic is a problem.

Whether those issues justify building a 100-foot-wide, $1.5 million roundabout at Rio Grande Boulevard and Candelaria was the subject of sometimes heated discussion during a three-hour public meeting at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. City officials and project engineers also went into detail about how the project will affect neighbors and drivers.

“You have the ability to have less potential severe accidents with a roundabout than (a traditional) intersection,” project engineer Albert Thomas told the residents. “The roundabout is safer for both the pedestrians and the vehicles.”

Thomas said drivers heading down Rio Grande travel at 45 mph on average, 10 mph above the speed limit. Installing a roundabout will slow them down, he said.

Residents who are against the roundabout are concerned that the project, paid for through a federal grant, is a waste of money and will clog a major traffic artery unnecessarily, and they said there are other ways of dealing with the traffic and safety concerns.

Those who support the roundabout shared stories of almost being hit by cars at the busy intersection and said the safety concerns justify the price tag.

 

Pick up a copy of tomorrow’s Albuquerque Journal to read the full story.


-- Email the reporter at plohmann@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3943

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in ABQnews Seeker
Nathan Montoya was found guilty Friday night in the death of 17-month-old BreAndra Pena.
UPDATED: Sentence is Life Is in Toddler Death Case

Judge Michael Vigil has sentenced Nathan Montoya to life in prison in the death of toddler BreAndra Pena last year....

Close