WASHINGTON — Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson was unable to persuade a federal court to include him in Wednesday night’s debate, but a Johnson spokesman said the former New Mexico governor will keep fighting for inclusion in debates later this month.
Johnson sued in federal District Court last week to compel the Commission on Presidential Debates to allow his participation in debates with Democratic President Barack Obama and his Republican rival, Mitt Romney.
The court had not ruled on the antitrust lawsuit’s request by Wednesday.
The lawsuit, filed by Johnson’s presidential campaign, alleges that the Commission on Presidential Debates is colluding with the Republican and Democratic parties to prevent third-party candidates from participating in the debates.
“Obviously, Gov. Johnson has not been included in the debate tonight, but our case in federal court is still pending,” Johnson spokesman Joe Hunter told the Journal on Wednesday.
The Commission on Presidential Debates’ rules say that a candidate must poll at 15 percent or higher in major national polls to be included in a general election debate. Johnson contends the standard is unfair because many national polls don’t include him at all. Johnson is on the presidential ballot in at least 47 states, including New Mexico. The commission did not respond to Journal emails or phone calls seeking comment on Johnson’s lawsuit.
— This article appeared on page A6 of the Albuquerque Journal
Reprint story -- Email the reporter at mcoleman@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 202-525-5633






