Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Judge declares mistrial in Alamogordo murder case

ALAMOGORDO — A judge declared a mistrial in an Alamogordo murder case because the prosecution didn’t provide the defense with a ballistics report until the night before the trial was to begin.

The Alamogordo Daily News reports that the mistrial was declared during a hearing before Mellissa Mathis’ trial was to begin Wednesday.

Mathis is accused in the June 2011 shooting death of her ex-lover, 33-year-old Shavon Twitty of Alamogordo.

Prosecutor Kirby Willis says a police detective delivered the ballistics report to defense attorney Jesse Cosby after prosecutors discovered Tuesday evening they had the report.

Willis said the trial could proceed without referring to the report but Judge James W. Counts said Cosby didn’t have time to consider using the report.

Two Ruidoso men await trial in the case.


Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in ABQnews Seeker, New Mexico News, News
Children's apparel retailer Crazy 8 is among the new tenants joining Cottonwood Mall this spring. Francesca's and Shoe Palace are also coming and will take over the old Gap space.
Cottonwood Mall adding three shops this spring

Cottonwood Mall isn't wasting any time filling the Gap. The storefront vacated last week by apparel chain Gap will be...

Close