Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Gov. shifts strategy with lawmakers

Gov. Susana Martinez has taken a markedly less confrontational approach to the Legislature this year, at least publicly.

Martinez hasn’t held a single news conference in Santa Fe since lawmakers began meeting Jan. 15.

The governor also hasn’t issued any news releases on the actions or inactions of lawmakers, although she has commented when nabbed by news media at events at the Capitol or in the hallways.

Martinez has appeared at a handful of events in Albuquerque to promote her legislative agenda, and this week during a speech she did take a swat a state senator for an inartful comment about child abuse.

Still, Martinez’s public approach to lawmakers this year is far different from what it was during the 60-day regular session of the Legislature in 2011, her first as governor.

That year, Martinez held at least five news conferences in Santa Fe on her legislative proposals and issued at least 19 news releases on the work of the Legislature, many of them critical.

On the issue of driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants, she took a personal shot at then-House Speaker Ben Lujan and aired a radio ad campaign to try to get lawmakers to repeal the licenses.

Martinez’s public tone was somewhat softer during the regular session of the Legislature in 2012, but still she suggested lawmakers were goofing off by taking a three-day weekend early in the session.

So why the change in the governor’s strategy this year?

Her communications director, Enrique Knell, didn’t respond to that question but said Martinez has made herself readily available to the news media during the legislative session.

He added: “She is spending a great deal of time meeting with numerous legislators from the House and Senate in an effort to find common ground and move forward legislation important to New Mexico.”

Maybe, Martinez, a Republican, believes a kinder, gentler approach to the Democratic-controlled Legislature could pay off with approval of legislation she supports.

So far, the governor’s list of major legislative accomplishments is a pretty thin one. She has been unable to get the Legislature to approve two big proposals — repeal of driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants and retention for third-graders who can’t read.

Maybe Martinez, in preparation for her re-election campaign next year, is trying to position herself as the reasonable one and Democratic lawmakers as the obstructionists.

The governor has tried to portray herself as the compromiser during this year’s session of the Legislature.

In an interview with KOB-TV this week, Martinez said, “They (Democrats) don’t want change. They just talk that they want compromise. When we give it to them, they change and move the target again.”

Whether Martinez’s attempt to paint Democrats as obstructionists will work is uncertain. In January, she said she was open to compromise on the issue of driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants, but it seems to me that the legislation she is now backing represents little, if any, compromise.

Martinez has deviated from the Republican playbook to support background checks for all firearms purchases at gun shows.

The Legislature is now in the final days of its 60-day regular session for 2013, and what all will be done remains uncertain.

The Republican governor and the Democrats who control the Legislature will share responsibility in what is accomplished for New Mexicans, or not accomplished.

UpFront is a daily front-page news and opinion column. Comment directly to Thom Cole at tcole@abqjournal.com or 505-992-6280 in Santa Fe. Go to www.abqjournal.com/letters/new to submit a letter to the editor.
— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal


-- Email the reporter at tcole@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-992-6280

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in A1, ABQnews Seeker, Journal North, Journal North Opinion, Opinion, UpFront
Breaking: Key Senate panel approves amended version of $5.9 billion state budget

A $5.9 billion state spending plan for the coming year is headed to the full Senate for a final vote,...

Close