The Santa Fe County Commission postponed a decision Tuesday night on whether to grant master plan zoning approval for the first phase of a proposed subdivision south of Eldorado.
The subdivision, called Spirit Wind West, would include 39 residential lots on about 134 acres of land south of Eldorado. The property is located east of U.S. 285 off Old Lamy Trail (CR 33). The project is to be developed in four phases. Phase I would consist of 16 lots ranging in size from 2.89 to 3.47 acres.
The proposal passed through the County Development Review committee, which recommended the commission approve the master plan.
Attorney Ron VanAmberg spoke on behalf of developer Joe Miller, who also developed Spirit Wind Ranch subdivision, which is adjacent to the proposed site.
Ron VanAmberg said Miller had been cooperative with both the county and area residents who had expressed concerns about the project, holding community meetings and agreeing to change some of the initial covenants.
The covenant changes included not allowing two-story structures and recreational vehicles or boats on the properties. And while modular homes would still be allowed, they must be stuccoed and meet with the specifications of an architectural committee.
The board of commissioners had received several letters from area residents opposed to the subdivision. Among their concerns were that the new subdivision would adversely affect property values.
Another concern is water, and some of the four people who spoke against the proposal said the subdivision could tax the water resources.
“Every summer we’ve had water restrictions,” said Jackie Beal, who lives in the Spirit Wind Ranch subdivision. “Just because wells are there and are pumping doesn’t mean it can support those homes.”
Another neighbor, Paul Rice, said he’s noticed that the water pressure at his home has dropped in recent years.
“So I’m very, very concerned,” he said.
While the Eldorado Area Water and Sanitation District indicated that it was “ready, willing, and able” to provide water service to the area, the Office of the State Engineer was opposed to the plan.
In a letter dated Feb. 13, 2013, the OSE said that based on the information it had, it “cannot determine that the subdivider can furnish water sufficient in quantity to fulfill the maximum annual water requirements of the subdivision, including water for indoor and outdoor domestic uses, and that the subdivider can fulfill the proposals in his disclosure statement concerning water, excepting water quality. Accordingly, a negative opinion is issued.”
Commission Chairwoman Kathy Holian made a motion to deny the request.
“In my opinion, this is not the kind of development we want or need at this time, and I cannot in good conscience vote for this,” she said.
But the motion died for lack of a second.
Commissioner Danny Mayfield then moved to postpone the decision. In the meantime, he asked that the developer meet again with area residents to see if they could agree on a few more details.
Commissioner Liz Stefanics added a friendly amendment that the developer also provide specific details about how they would address water conservation, open space and archaeological sites in the area.
The commission unanimously approved the motion to postpone a decision indefinitely.
The next meeting of the county commission is set for April 9.
-- Email the reporter at jjadrnak@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-992-6279
