SIGNAL PLANNED FOR UNSER/MOLTEN ROCK INTERSECTION: Steve Hamlin emails that “as a resident who uses this intersection several times a day, (the recent death of a 51-year-old motorcyclist by an alleged drunken driver) came as no surprise.”
Steve says “my wife and I practice defensive driving, so we rarely make left turns out of our neighborhood. We make right turns, drive north for a few miles and then work our way back to any southern destination. In our opinion, the intersection is that dangerous for every driver, whether they are on Unser or Molten Rock, whether they might be driving impaired or in top concentration.”
Steve says “we realize the city deals with residents every day who have concerns about traffic in their own neighborhoods. We can only imagine the complexity of that task.
That being said, we believe the city has done an extremely poor job managing and explaining a long-term traffic solution for Unser between Paseo del Norte and Montaño. Of particular concern is the T-intersection at Rainbow and Unser that creates an extremely short traffic break for people who must use Molten Rock to leave or enter their neighborhood. Secondarily, this stretch of road has frequent speed-limit changes, blind rises and curves, and no sidewalks, bike lanes or sound walls. These conditions co-exist with growing development and increasing traffic.”
“It appears cynically to us that the city’s priorities might be established by counting corpses. For now, right turns will continue to be the right thing to do.”
And Joseph Martinez emails “for the last five years I have pleaded with the city to install a traffic light.
This is an extremely dangerous intersection for 500-plus homes that reside on the west and east side(s) of Unser.”
He explains that “it is a shame that the city and its elected officials wait until a life is lost before they get off their hind side and actually do something. How many lives must be lost before you take the necessary action to protect your citizens? We all understand the circumstance surrounding the accident, but myself and a number of our neighbors and I am sure a large number of the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho citizens and the family of the deceased would feel that this fatal accident may of been prevented if a traffic light had been installed.”
The city doesn’t agree a signal would prevent a DWI wreck, but one will be installed next year.
Doug Lutz, director of constituent services for Mayor Richard Berry, says “as the citizen stated this accident is the result of a(n alleged) DWI driver that a traffic signal would not have prevented. We have conducted a signal warrant analysis at the intersection in January of this year, and it is warranted. We have immediately included the funding for the signal in the current 2013 general-obligation bond program. That bond program is proposed on the general election this fall. That funding would become available in January 2014, at which time we would begin the design and construction.”
According to the Department of Municipal Development, Unser/Molten Rock warrants a signal under the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices based on traffic volumes from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thirteen points are needed to be considered for a signal.
Unser/Molten Rock scored a 57.
OPEN HOUSE ON PASEO CONGESTION: The Mid-Region Council of Governments has two meetings planned to discuss “transit options alternatives” for connecting the West Side with the Interstate 25/Journal Center area.
As part of the Paseo del Norte High Capacity Transit Study, residents are invited to open houses Wednesday, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Dekker/Perich/Sabbatini offices at 7601 Jefferson NE, Suite 100, and from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at the Northwest Albuquerque Police Substation, 10401 Cibola Loop NW.
The announcement on the MRCOG website says “with congestion on the region’s river crossings already bad and getting worse, the study is designed to identify an affordable and reliable transit alternative for West Side residents. The information presented at the open house includes potential routes, park-and-ride locations, how the service may operate, and how it would integrate with other transit service in the region.”
Those who can not attend and have feedback or questions are encouraged to email tsylvester@mrcog-nm.gov or call 247-1750.
Assistant editorial page editor D’Val Westphal tackles commuter issues for the Metro area on Mondays and West Siders and Rio Ranchoans on Thursdays. Reach her at 823-3858; road@abqjournal.com; P.O. Drawer J, Albuquerque, N.M. 87103; or go to ABQjournal.com/traffic to read previous columns and join in the conversation.
— This article appeared on page 21 of the Albuquerque Journal

