Police say “no probable cause” exists to charge anyone with a crime in a deadly exchange of gunfire that killed a 24-year-old Ventana Ranch man this week.
The dead man was identified by police as Jonathan Mitchell, in what appears to have been a case of self defense.
A neighbor, Donnie Pearson, and his 15-year-old son had gone to check on another neighbor’s welfare when Mitchell reportedly stepped out of his garage and shot at Pearson and his son, police said.
Pearson, who had a concealed carry permit for a handgun, shot back and killed Mitchell, police said.
“Currently, based on the information and evidence that we have, and reviewed, with the DA’s office, it appears there is no probable cause to charge anyone with a crime,” Albuquerque police spokeswoman Tasia Martinez said.
Before the fatal gunshot, Mitchell had earlier brandished a gun at Jose Beltran, who lives near Mitchell, police said.
No one was arrested in connection with the shooting, and police plan to forward a complete file of the case to the District Attorney’s Office for its review, Martinez said.
The bizarre series of events began shortly before 11:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 7400 block of Sanderling NW. Beltran was arriving home from work when he saw a man, later identified as Mitchell, in his driveway.
As Beltran was about to park, Mitchell brandished a handgun at him, Beltran told police. Beltran drove away and called his family inside his home. He told them to get to a safe place, then he circled the block, according to police. When he pulled in front of his home a second time, Mitchell again displayed the gun. Mitchell then ran away yelling profanities, Beltran told police.
One of Beltran’s family members inside the house called Pearson, who along with his son, drove from their home to check on their neighbor’s welfare.
— This article appeared on page C2 of the Albuquerque Journal
-- Email the reporter at asanchez@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3960





