
Rep. Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., second from left, and outgoing Interior Department Secretary Ken Salazar talk with people after Saturday’s unveiling of a new a new sign for the Río Grande del Norte National Monument. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)
TAOS – The crowd assembled in the Taos Mesa Brewing Company on Saturday broke into applause and cheers as a curtain was pulled away to reveal Río Grande del Norte’s new national monument sign.
The sign’s instantly recognizable depiction of the Taos Gorge with the river flowing through it represents nearly a quarter of a million acres of natural resources, wildlife, history and scenery between Rio Arriba and Taos counties now protected by presidential proclamation.
That proclamation, signed by President Barack Obama early last week, signified different things to the local, state and federal figures who spoke at the unveiling Saturday, however. Several touched on the importance of preserving a unique piece of land and declared the distinction a victory for conservation efforts, ensuring it will be around for generations of New Mexicans to enjoy.

The Rio Grande Gorge north of Taos — and half a million surrounding acres — will be protected as the Río Grande del Norte National Monument. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)
Outgoing Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said the monument “captured” much of what President Obama had wanted him to work on during his cabinet tenure, and joined others in emphasizing that the monument designation would bring in jobs, tourists and outdoor adventurers to the area.
“This is an economic engine for northern New Mexico,” Salazar said.
Lawrence Rael, Green Chamber of Commerce chairman for New Mexico, said the monument will help northern New Mexicans live better and raise their families in the area.
“It’s the right business decision,” Rael said.
Rael said he expects news of Río Grande del Norte National Monument to entice nature-lovers from outside the region, creating demand for hospitality-based services including restaurants, lodging, tours and more.
A recent study by BBC Research & Consulting in Denver estimated the designation could translate into $15 million in new regional income and 279 new jobs. The same study cited other regions that received similar status in 2001, and saw visitors increase by 500 percent through 2007. Former U.S. Sen. Jeff Bingaman and current Sen. Martin Heinrich on Saturday thanked community support for the monument designation.
“This is a special place and we’re going to put it on the map,” Heinrich said.
The region is home to cutthroat trout, river otters, eagles and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep as well as elk, deer and coyotes, according to the proclamation. U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Luján emphasized the importance of slowly taking in the beauty of the area and stressed the importance of conservation, so that the monument can be passed to future generations “in better shape than where we found it.”
— This article appeared on page B1 of the Albuquerque Journal
-- Email the reporter at brodgers@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-992-6275

