Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Gov. signs unemployment insurance overhaul

New Mexico businesses will change the way they chip in to the state’s unemployment insurance fund under a new law signed by Gov. Susana Martinez on Wednesday.

The change starting in January 2015 will allow the Department of Workforce Solutions — instead of the Legislature — to set premiums businesses are required to pay into the fund that pays benefits to laid off workers.

Martinez said the law, sponsored by Sen. Stuart Ingle, R-Portales, takes politics out of decisions on how the unemployment insurance fund is managed.

“Politicians in Santa Fe shouldn’t be using an unfair and arbitrary rate structure to change costs on businesses year after year,” the governor said. “That’s not predictable, and it’s far too political.”

The change in how rates could raise premiums slightly but is expected to finally end the annual legislative debate on the issue.

The new system will calculate rates based on the type of business the company is in, its experience and a factor to raise or lower premiums to keep the unemployment insurance fund solvent, Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce CEO Terri Cole told the Journal when the measure was approved.

She said it will deliver “consistency and certainty to the business community, both of which have been missing in the schedule-setting process in the past.”

A Legislative Finance Committee analysis estimates the new approach would raise an average employer’s premium 0.21 percent over the premium schedule that had been in place.

Another bill signed into law by the governor Wednesday will increase penalties for fraudulently claiming state unemployment benefits.


Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in Business, Business Insider
COURTESY PHOTO Mary T. Torres has been elected secretary of the American Bar Association for 2014. Her election marks the first time in its history that a Hispanic woman has served as an officer of the ABA.
Socorro native named secretary of American Bar Association

Socorro native Mary T. Torres has been elected secretary of the American Bar Association for 2014, m ...

Close