Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Man to be charged for descanso digging

SANTA FE (AP) — State game and fish officials say they plan to file charges against a man who was digging for hidden treasure.

Department spokesman Dan Williams says the man was found digging under a descanso along the upper Pecos River at the Terrero Campground last month. A descanso is a marker where someone has died or their ashes scattered.

Williams says the man told officers he was digging for the chest of gold and jewels that Santa Fe artifact collector Forrest Fenn says he has hidden in the mountains north of Santa Fe. Fenn has published a memoir with a poem of clues to the treasure’s location.

Williams told the Santa Fe New Mexican the man will be charged under a state law making it a misdemeanor to “excavate, injure, destroy or remove any cultural resource or artifact” on State Game Commission land.


Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in ABQnews Seeker
BCSO to promote five on Friday

The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office will promote five individuals at an 11 a.m. ceremony Friday at 400 Roma NW, 5th...

Close