Login for full access to ABQJournal.com
 
Remember Me for a Month
Recover lost username/password
Register for username

New users: Subscribe here


Close

 Print  Email this pageEmail   Comments   Share   Tweet   + 1

Updated: DA to seek charges after woman struck with arrow

1:53 p.m. — After consulting with the District Attorney’s office, police will now seek misdemeanor deadly weapon charges against the father and/or son whose mis-aimed arrow struck a woman in the back Wednesday evening near a dog park in Taylor Ranch.

The woman, 47, did not suffer life-threatening injuries after an arrow that sailed through a fence from a backyard struck her in the back. The projectile was sticking out of her back when police arrived.

The father and son said they had mis-fired an arrow but thought the weapon had been slowed or stopped when it went through a fence. Police initially said that the accidental shot would not result in criminal charges, but that changed Thursday.


A woman on Albuquerque’s West Side was shot in the back with an arrow Wednesday evening near the Taylor Ranch Dog Park after a father and son were practicing with a bow in the back yard and missed the target.

The woman, 47, was expected to survive, police said. The arrow was sticking out of her back when they arrived.

The father and son said they had earlier fired an arrow at a target, though it missed and sailed through a fence. The amateur bowmen thought the fence was thick enough to slow or divert the arrow from danger, but they were wrong, police said.

Police said the father and son were cooperative and had no intention of hitting the woman. As a result, they aren’t facing any criminal charges, though the District Attorney’s Office will receive the case for review.
— This article appeared on page C2 of the Albuquerque Journal


-- Email the reporter at plohmann@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3943

Comments

Note: Readers can use their Facebook identity for online comments or can use Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL accounts via the "Comment using" pulldown menu. You may send a news tip or an anonymous comment directly to the reporter, click here.

More in ABQnews Seeker, West
Clayton grad to head Cimarron schools

Adam Estrada grew up in northeast New Mexico, graduated from Clayton High School, has worked with the Clovis school district...

Close