Bernalillo County Sheriff’s investigators say they believe last week’s homicide in the South Valley stemmed from an allegation that the alleged shooter had sexually assaulted the victim’s child, according to a spokesman for the law enforcement agency.
Edward Quintana, 29, remained at the Metropolitan Detention Center late Monday on charges of murder and criminal sexual penetration, criminal sexual contact of a minor and child abuse, according to jail records. His bonds have been set at $250,000 cash only on the murder charge, and at $100,000 cash or surety for the other charges.
Criminal complaints laying out the charges against Quintana have been sealed by a state District Court judge.
But BCSO Sgt. Aaron Williamson said the shooting took place Wednesday at the victim’s home on the 1600 block of Atrisco NW.
“Apparently there was some type of altercation between them about the sexual assault allegation that obviously escalated and led to the shooting,” Williamson said.
Quintana fled in a vehicle, and sheriff’s investigators arrested him Friday on the 300 block of Charleston SE, according to court records.
— This article appeared on page C2 of the Albuquerque Journal
-- Email the reporter at jproctor@abqjournal.com. Call the reporter at 505-823-3951

