Senior expected to play on Saturday
LAS CRUCES – Tyrone Watson returned to the practice court Tuesday for the first time since New Mexico State men’s basketball coach Marvin Menzies suspended Watson for his alleged involvement in an off-campus fight in January.
Watson faces a felony battery charge, stemming from the beating of fellow NMSU student Miguel Rascon on Jan. 26.
After he appealed his suspension, Watson’s case was reviewed by an NMSU social misconduct committee, which recommended last week to NMSU athletic director McKinley Boston that Watson be reinstated. The senior forward is expected to play Saturday at Denver.
| |
||
New Mexico State at Denver, 4 p.m.; Altitude, 101.7 FM |
||
| |
“Tyrone is not going to be punished,” Menzies said. “His punishment has already been put in. We will just go forward with whatever we feel is the most appropriate to win.”
Jack Thomas, a professor in animal range science, has served as the faculty athletics representative since 2006. Thomas said Watson’s appeal was the fourth he has been involved with in that time. The social misconduct committee’s recommendation called for a 30-day suspension, which was served retroactively.
“We weren’t looking at the number of days as much as the number of contests,” Thomas said. “Seven games is what he missed, which is 22 or 23 percent of the season. Almost a quarter of the season. We thought that was appropriate. Typically we take into account the time he had already been suspended.”
Watson’s suspension is officially lifted March 1, but he was allowed to rejoin his teammates for practice. Watson was not made available to the media, but the Aggies are happy to have him back.
“It’s an added bonus, especially we need his leadership back,” Aggie sophomore guard Daniel Mullings said. “He’s a senior. He was a guy that did everything for us offensively and defensively.”
The Aggies (19-9, 12-3) have three Western Athletic Conference games remaining, beginning Saturday at second-place Denver (18-8, 13-2). No. 25 Louisiana Tech (24-3, 14-0) leads the league.
Watson is a fifth-year senior, who adds experience and depth to the NMSU frontcourt, where he started the first 21 games of the season.
“We missed some of his leadership and his playmaking ability, so it will be good to have him back,” said Renaldo Dixon, who has averaged 9.3 points since replacing Watson in the starting lineup the past seven games. “I’m not sure how the coaches will handle it, but either way they handle it, I just want to do whatever is best for the team. I see myself doing both (the power forward and center position).”
Dixon also backs up freshman center Sim Bhullar at the center spot.
“He has been here for five years, so I don’t think the transition back with him will be difficult,” Menzies said of Watson. “It means we are a little deeper. I think we are a better team with him. We might have to work out the X’s and O’s, but they are all team guys. Maybe with another team it would be more tricky, but they have already handled the situation.”
“I called Renaldo last night and I asked him if he wanted to start,” Menzies said.
“I said I’m all about the team,” Dixon responded. NMSU Saturday
— This article appeared on page D2 of the Albuquerque Journal
