Recover password

Man commits 4 armed robberies in 40 minutes, police say

Anthony Romero, 25 (MDC)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A man is in jail after police say he committed four armed robberies in about a half hour in Albuquerque’s West Side on Tuesday night.

Anthony Romero, 25, robbed two people and three businesses — two grocery stories and a pizza restaurant  — at gunpoint between about 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. near Coors and Alameda, according to a criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court.

The spree began when police said Romero held up two men at a Bank of America ATM near Corrales Road. The victims told officers the man had been wearing all white, fled in a red SUV and had made off with $120.

Six minutes later, Romero walked into the Albertsons on Coors NW and forced two cashiers at gunpoint to give him more than $1,500 from the register, according to the complaint.

Officers arriving at the scene tried to stop the suspect from leaving, but he sped away.

Just 15 minutes later, police said Romero was at the drive through window of the Dion’s on Coors demanding money.

This time Romero allegedly opened fire. Police said he fired two shots at the cashier from the drive-through window when she turned her back to him. He then jumped through window, emptied some of the cash registers and left with $275.

Detectives said they caught up with Romero nearly 20 minutes later as he walked out of a Smith’s on Golf Course with $400 and packs of cigarettes, according to the complaint.

Romero allegedly sped away as officers tried to follow.

“The vehicle drove in an erratic manner at high speeds, with no headlights on,” an officer wrote in the complaint.

For the second time, police said Romero got away.

Later that night, detectives looking at surveillance footage recognized Romero’s car and went to his house. He tried to flee on foot, but officers caught and arrested him.

Romero is charged with seven counts of robbery with a deadly weapon, shooting into an occupied dwelling, shooting at or from a motor vehicle, four counts of kidnapping and 14 counts of aggravated assault.  He was taken to jail later Tuesday night.