Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

SFPD: Entrada protester held on felony counts for alleged battery on officer

Jennifer Marley of San Ildefonso Pueblo and part of the Red Nation group is arrested by Santa Fe Police during a protest of the Santa Fe Entrada on Friday. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)

SANTA FE – At least some of the protesters arrested following Friday’s Entrada re-enactment on the Santa Fe Plaza were being released Saturday.

Mayor Javier Gonzales tweeted that “release orders” were being faxed by courts to the Santa Fe County jail to get the protesters out, unless they had other court matters pending.

Lt. Marvin Paulk of the Santa Fe Police Department said Saturday that a total of eight people were arrested after the Entrada, an annual re-enactment of the Spanish reoccupation of Santa Fe in 1692, 12 years after the Pueblo Revolt. Native American groups and others have protested the event in recent years. On Friday, protesters chanted during the Entrada pageant, then about 150 people continued to protest at or near the Santa Fe Plaza afterward, leading to the arrests.

Paulk said seven protesters were charged with criminal trespass. Jennifer Marley, from San Ildefonso Pueblo and part of the Red Nation group, faces two felony counts of battery on a police officer as well as criminal trespass.

He said the battery counts were for Marley allegedly hitting officers with a sign and trying to push past them. Paulk said the criminal trespass charges were for refusal to leave the Plaza space for which Fiesta de Santa Fe had a permit for its activities this weekend, including the Entrada. “The permit holder makes the rules,” he said.

Attorney Dan Cron of Santa Fe said he is part of a legal “strike force” formed last year to represent arrested protesters. He said he made calls to check on when judges would consider bail or bond for those arrested Friday. Under new state law, that must be done within 48 hours of arrest. Cron said it was his understanding that everyone charged in Municipal Court was being released.

The jail’s website showed that Marley was still incarcerated as of Saturday afternoon. With felony counts, she was likely charged in Magistrate Court.

On Saturday, Red Nation was promoting a #FREEJEN campaign on Facebook.