Recover password

Protester Jennifer Marley arraigned at Santa Fe Magistrate Court

Jennifer Marley is taken away by police after her arrest during the Entrada protest on Friday. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)

SANTA FE — The attorney for a woman accused of hitting two Santa Fe Police officers with a sign during a protest of the Fiestas de Santa Fe Entrada Friday said any physical contact his client had with police was unintentional.

The Santa Fe Police Department released lapel video Tuesday that captured 21-year-old Jennifer Marley, of San Ildefonso Pueblo and part of the Red Nation group, being arrested after trying to push through a police line on Lincoln Avenue and Marcy Street. She was charged with two felony counts of battery on a peace officer after two officers claimed she hit them with one of her protest signs.  She is also charged with misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

Her attorney, Dan Cron, said nothing on several videos released Tuesday provides evidence that Marley intentionally struck Sgt. Christopher Reynosa or Officer Gerald Lovato.  The Journal reviewed the videos, and they didn’t show Marley hitting officers with a sign.

“Based on everything that I have seen, honestly my first reaction was, ‘C’mon, man, are you kidding me?,'” Cron said outside the Santa Fe Magistrate Court Wednesday morning. “I think the way that things unfolded, I don’t see any intent whatsoever there. I can see how whatever movement that there was by Jennifer was precipitated by the close gathering of the police around her. There was absolutely nothing deliberate about that.”

Marley had her first appearance in front of Judge Donita Sena, who was Fiesta de Santa Fe Reina in 1981, Wednesday morning. Sena entered not guilty pleas on Marley’s behalf because a magistrate court doesn’t have the authority to accept pleas on felonies.

The Entrada is part of the Fiesta. It is a re-enactement of the Spanish re-occupation of Santa Fe in 1692, 12 years after the Pueblo revolt. About 150 people protested this year’s Entrada.

Cron said there will be a preliminary hearing, probably within 30 days, where the judge will determine if there is enough evidence to move the case forward.

Cron said Marley had undergone peaceful protest training and knows to not hurt police officers.

“At those trainings, people are advised where the line is,” Cron said. “They know not to cross the line because they know it’s not the intent to harm anybody, to commit any kind of battery on peace officers. Jenn has been through that type of training. The contact was incidental to the scrum that was going on when the police started to surround her.”

Seven other protesters were also arrested Friday and have pleaded not guilty to criminal trespass in Municipal Court.