Recover password

Circle K robbery suspect facing federal charges

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A man accused of shooting and injuring two people during an armed robbery at an Albuquerque Circle K last week was arrested by FBI agents Thursday morning and is now facing a federal prosecution.

Eric Reddick, 22, would have been in jail at the time of the alleged robbery had prosecutors not “checked the wrong box,” which led to dismissal of a previous case against him, District Attorney Raúl Torrez previously said.

Earlier this week, a criminal complaint was filed in federal court against Reddick charging him with interference w

Eric Reddick

ith interstate commerce by robbery and federal firearms laws. He appeared on Thursday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Steven Yarbrough, who ordered that Reddick remain in custody until a detention hearing scheduled for this morning.

Albuquerque police arrested Reddick on Oct. 6 on suspicion of armed robbery, stolen vehicle and aggravated battery charges after they said he held up the Circle K at Wyoming and Claremont NE at gunpoint. As he was leaving the scene, a witness tried to take Reddick’s picture and he fired several rounds into the store, according to the complaint. Bullet fragments struck two people, according to the complaint.

Reddick and an accomplice were later taken into custody by police at a Denny’s parking lot at San Antonio and Interstate 25.

An FBI agent wrote in the complaint that Circle K is a worldwide franchise that receives products from warehouses throughout the country. So the robbery affected interstate commerce, which is a violation of federal law, so the case will be prosecuted in federal court.

State charges against Reddick were dismissed in favor of the federal prosecution, according to the a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

District Attorney Torrez previously said a state district judge in July had ordered that Reddick remain in custody until his trial on stolen vehicle, possession of drug paraphernalia and other state charges.

But prosecutors failed to meet the deadline to indict Reddick, the case was dismissed and he was released from jail. Torrez said prosecutors miscategorized the case and then didn’t present it to a grand jury.


Suggested on ABQjournal