The New Mexico Public Education Department recently announced the top prize winners of the 2017 New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge, a program that encourages kids to read over the summer.
“I’m proud of all the kids who took time to keep up with their reading skills over the summer,” Gov. Susana Martinez said in a statement. “The reading challenge is a great way for kids to have fun and hit the ground running when they go back to school in the fall. I hope all our winners enjoy their exciting prizes.”
The 2017 New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge was open to every student ages 5 to 12 enrolled in a New Mexico elementary school.
Readers who submitted a reading log completed with 12 books read, as well as a short essay on “Why I Love New Mexico” also had their names entered in the random drawing to receive one of several grand prizes.
The winners and their prizes were as follows:
⋄ Arcely Mendoza, 5th Grade, Gadsden Elementary in Anthony wins an all-expense-paid family vacation to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando;
• Estefany Castillo, 5th Grade, El Camino Real Academy in Santa Fe and Mateo C. Ponce, 3rd Grade, Santa Teresa Elementary in Santa Teresa win a hot air balloon ride with Gov. Susana Martinez and First Gentleman Chuck Franco;
• Lorena Zamora, 4th Grade, Desert Hills Elementary in Las Cruces; Billy Romero, 2nd Grade, Arroyo Del Norte Elementary School in Arroyo Seco; Kaela Delgado, 3rd Grade, Mike Mateo Sena Elementary School in Las Vegas; and Brooklyn Baca, 4th Grade, Central Belen Elementary School in Belen, all win an adventure as a junior zookeeper for a day at the ABQ BioPark Zoo;
• Maya Aalberts, 4th Grade, Gonzales Community School in Santa Fe; Micah Sherman, kindergarten, Oak Grove Classical Academy in Albuquerque; and Timothy McCord, 2nd Grade, Apache Elementary in Albuquerque get to meet the Lobos head basketball coach, receive free tickets to a Lobo basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at Dreamstyle Arena, aka The Pit, and receive an autographed Lobo basketball;
• Adrianna Macy, pre-K, NMSU School for Young Children in Las Cruces; Jubliee Simmons, 5th Grade, J Paul Taylor Academy in Las Cruces; Aiden Budcner, 3rd Grade, Highland Elementary in Las Cruces all get to meet the Aggie head basketball coach, receive free tickets to an Aggie basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pan-Am Center, and receive an autographed Aggie basketball;
• Sienna Vigil, 1st Grade, Pinon Elementary in Los Alamos win four tickets to the 2018 New Mexico State Fair, and four tickets to one of the fair’s concert and rodeo events at Tingley Coliseum;
• Jaslynn Garcia, 3rd Grade, Kha’p’o Community School in Espanola and Havilah Hughes, 1st Grade, Home School in Carson win a National Park Service Pass for admission at all National Parks.
In addition, 10 readers won a state park pass, good for one year at any of New Mexico’s 35 state parks. Two hundred readers will receive cultural passes good for admission to 16 New Mexico state museums and historic sites.
Every participant who submitted a reading log with at least six books will receive a New Mexico True bookmark and a certificate recognizing their accomplishment.
We welcome suggestions for the daily Bright Spot. Send to email@example.com.