Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Help available for people who can’t move trash bins

HELP MOVING THOSE TRASH BINS: After recent columns featured residents complaining about trash bins left in the street and others saying some folks are disabled and can’t easily move them, readers have pointed out that help is available.

Caryl McHarney emails “please tell (readers) there is a city program to help. If you are handicapped the city will take your bin to the truck, empty it and return it to your property. They not only do this courteously, but the man who trundles mine picks up my morning Journal and leaves it on my porch on the way up the drive. Check it out.”

And Julie H. adds “people who can’t physically move their trash and recycle bins themselves can contact the Solid Waste Department for assistance. There’s a form on the department website (at that requires a signature from a medical provider, but once qualified, the city workers will take your filled trash bins from your driveway and put them back in the driveway empty. That might help some folks.”

The phone number to Albuquerque’s Solid Waste Department is 761-8100. For information on handicapped pickup, call 761-8360.

AND SORTING OUT REAL ID FORMS: Julie adds “it’s not true that only wage-related 1099 forms have the full Social Security number (as a reader said in a previous column). It’s the choice of the issuer of the paperwork whether or not to include the full number or only the last four digits on the copy sent to the payee.

“Some firms who distribute most of their correspondence online or by email do suppress all but the last four digits as a security measure against identity theft, but it’s up to the company. I have non-wage 1099s from last year using both approaches. Bottom line, whatever you take to DMV must show the full number, though.”

For Real ID you need:

• One proof of identity number (Social Security card, W-2 or 1099)

• One proof of identity (original or certified copy of your government – not hospital or church – birth certificate or valid passport)

• And two proofs of residency (utility, insurance, property tax or credit card bills or bank statements with name and physical address).

A full list of accepted documents is at

AND REAL ID IS ONE AND DONE: Louise Ludwick writes “my 83-year-old husband got a Real ID driver’s license in December 2016. He has since sold his truck and shows no interest in driving. I thought a Real ID identification card would be better now than renewing his driver’s license.”

But she says someone at the Motor Vehicle Division informed her “that to get the Real ID identification card, he would need to present all the documents required for it – the very ones that he already presented in order to receive his Real ID driver’s license. I thought that MVD entered all that data into their computer when he got the license. Why then do they need to see all the documents again?”

They don’t.

Benjamin Cloutier, spokesman for the state Taxation and Revenue Department, which oversees MVD, says “once an applicant has provided us proof of their legal status they are not required to show that proof again. This includes changing from a DL to an ID or vice versa. The only time that they would be required to provide proof again is if the original documents provided only granted them limited legal status. Individuals who are on work visas or limited resident status from the Department of Homeland Security would have to provide proof again.”

MORE ALAMEDA ON THE WAY: GeeBee emails “the entire 6-mile stretch of westbound Alameda Boulevard from Barstow to Coors is two lanes wide, except for a 200-foot section that squeezes down to one lane behind Alameda Storage near Louisiana Blvd. Why is that?”

Mark Motsko with the city of Albuquerque says widening that section is “in design now and (we) should have it constructed early 2018.”

VETERANS STILL GET FREE RIDE ON ART: Phillip Sanchez called recently to ask if veterans will get free passes to ride the ART – just as they do with the current city bus system.

Joanie Griffin, who is handling information on the bus project along Central, says the answer is “yes they will.”

Editorial page editor D’Val Westphal tackles commuter issues for the Metro area on Mondays. Reach her at 823-3858;; or P.O. Drawer J, Albuquerque, N.M. 87103.