The National Hispanic Cultural Center continues to grow its programming as well as its attendance.
The center will launch a proposal submission process Thursday to ensure diversity of programming, consistency with the center’s mission, and greater accessibility and transparency in the selection process for its performing arts season, according to the NHCC.
Performing artists who would like to present a show at the NHCC will need to provide information on their proposed performance by filling out the appropriate form and submitting it to the NHCC no later than March 14, 2018. Proposals can be submitted in the categories – theater, dance, music or miscellaneous. All proposals will then be reviewed by a panel, and those that are accepted will form the NHCC’s upcoming 2018-19 Performing Arts Season, that begins in July 2018. Accepted proposals will be notified by April 13.
To explain the new process, the NHCC is holding pre-launch open session at 6 p.m. Wednesday and a second open session at 10 a.m. Feb. 8 in the Bank of America Theatre on the NHCC campus.
“We hope this new process will improve the transparency of, equal access to and efficiency in our selection process, while also increasing our support of selected partners with capacity building offerings throughout the season,” said NHCC Executive Director Rebecca Avitia.
Avitia said the NHCC’s mission is to preserve, promote, and advance Hispanic culture, arts, and humanities and the performing arts season helps to carry out this mission through the presentation of traditional and contemporary dance, theater, and music. They are to reflect both deep cultural traditions and more current evolutions of performing arts from Latin America, Spain, Portugal, and Latino/Hispanic/Chicano peoples within the United States.
The NHCC is looking for proposals to help present a range of performances that showcase local, national, and international talent.
In addition, the NHCC is looking for proposals that demonstrate high artistic quality, community benefit and interest, and the administrative capacity to carry through with both.
According to the proposal process, if accepted the NHCC will contract formally with the artist.
The NHCC requests the following from performers:
- Recognize the NHCC as a co-presenter of your production in all advertising, collateral and public promotion;
- Comply with all NHCC procedures and policies regarding venue usage;
- Provide a minimum number of tickets to the NHCC for promotional use;
- Provide a discount of $2 on all tickets for NHCC Foundation members and students;
- Include information and logos provided by the NHCC in the event program and on all marketing collateral you create;
- Have a representative of the NHCC initiate the curtain speech(es) for the event(s), and
- Participate in capacity building and networking opportunities provided by the NHCC for Performing Arts season partners.
As a partner in their season, the NHCC will provide the following:
- Box office staffing and ticket management support;
- Marketing and graphic design support;
- Waiver of facility rental fees;
- A front-of-house manager and manager on duty;
- Performance ushers;
- Technical staffing support (to be determined based on availability);
- Rehearsal hall or theater usage for rehearsals and load-in prior to performance (to be determined based on availability and usage request); and
- Capacity building and networking opportunities for Performing Arts season partners.