Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

SW ABQ SWAT Suspect Is Dead

11:08 a.m. — Albuquerque police spokeswoman Tasia Martinez has confirmed that Santiago Chavez, the 20-year-old man involved in a lengthy SWAT standoff in Southwest Albuquerque on Wednesday, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

5:40 a.m. — The 20-year-old man who held an Albuquerque Police Department SWAT team and New Mexico State Police at bay for more than 13 hours on Wednesday is dead, KOAT-TV is reporting.

Police arrived at the 400 block of 67th Street SW Wednesday morning after receiving reports of a man throwing rocks at cars and knocking down trash cans, Action 7 News said.

When a neighbor approached the man, he brandished a gun and barricaded himself inside the home and threatened to kill himself, police told KOAT-TV.

According to KOB-TV, Santiago Chavez, 20, kept officers at bay for more than 13 hours.

12:49pm 6/20/12 — SWAT Situation in SW Albuquerque

Police surround the area near Coors and Gonzales early Wednesday afternoon. (Adolphe Pierre-Louis/Journal)

2:43 p.m. — Police have released more details in the events that led to a man barricading himself in a home in southwest Albuquerque.

At about 9 a.m., police received a call that Santiago Chavez, a man in his early 20s, was throwing rocks and passing vehicles and knocking down trashcans, said APD Sgt. Donovan Olvera.

When a nearby resident approached the man, he brandished a gun, though he never pointed it at the resident, Olvera said.

Officers arrived on scene and the man barricaded himself. He is threatening suicide, Olvera said.

The man is still inside the home, and Crisis teams are in communication with him.

1:44 p.m. — The SWAT situation this afternoon began when a resident saw a seemingly-armed man vandalizing trash cans in her street, police said.

The man was on the 400 block of 67th Street SW when a resident confronted him, saw a gun and called police, said APD Sgt. Donavan Olvera. The man then barricaded himself in home on the block.

SWAT members of the Crisis negotiation team are trying to coax him out. He may face charges of vandalism.

Gonzalez Road is closed between Coors and Bataan during the incident.

12:45 p.m. — Albuquerque police are on the scene of a SWAT situation in southwest Albuquerque, police said.

Police cars have surrounded the area near the intersection of Coors Blvd. and Gonzales Rd. SW, according to a Journal photographer at the scene.

No further information was immediately available. Check back for updates as the story develops.

View Larger Map



Suggested on ABQjournal