UFC star Conor McGregor has turned himself into police in the wake of a backstage melee he instigated that has forced the removal of three fights off UFC’s biggest card of the year.
Video footage appears to show the promotion’s most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters , after a press conference for UFC 223 at Barclays Center.
McGregor was being processed and no charges had been filed as of Thursday night.
Video showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.
The New York Police Department said McGregor threw a hand truck at a bus causing minor injury to an individual on the bus. UFC said three fights on Saturday’s UFC 223 card have been scrapped as a result of the incident, including the fight between Albuquerque’s Ray Borg and Brandon Moreno.
Thursday evening, Brett Okamoto of espn.com, citing unnamed sources, reported that Borg had taken glass shards in an eye and will not fight Saturday. Borg was scheduled to face Mexico’s Moreno in an undercard flyweight fight.
The website mmajunkie.com, citing a conversation with a Borg team member, also reported that Borg-Moreno is off.
Earlier Thursday, Borg had tweeted that he’d been hit by shattered glass while sitting next to fighter Michael Chiesa on the bus. But Borg did not indicate that he had been hurt.
The UFC issued the following statement: “Flyweight Ray Borg, who was scheduled to face Brandon Moreno, was deemed unfit to fight … due to multiple corneal abrasions.”
“The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” UFC said in an earlier statement. “Individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow’s ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday’s event at Barclays Center.”
McGregor hasn’t fought for UFC since November 2016 and was stripped this week by UFC President Dana White of the 155-pound championship he had never defended. White also said this week he did not expect McGregor to attend Saturday’s fights.
McGregor last fought at all in a boxing match he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Aug. 26, 2017.
The popular Irishman is tight with UFC 223 fighter Artem Lobov, who was involved this week in a scuffle in a hotel with Khabib Nurmagomedov. Nurmagomedov was to have fought Max Holloway for the lightweight championship left vacant by McGregor, but Holloway on Friday was declared medically unfit to fight.
Friday, Al Iaquinta, who was scheduled to fight Paul Felder on the undercard, was named as Nurmagomedov’s opponent. It is still a UFC title fight, but only Nurmagomedov can win the title because Iaquinta weighed in on Friday above the lightweight limit.
Lobov was yanked from the card and banned from the building.
Chiesa was sent to the hospital with injuries sustained in the attack and was forced out of his scheduled fight against Anthony Pettis.
“A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223,” Chiesa tweeted. “I’m devastated to say the least. @showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP. June 9th in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.”
White said this week in New York that McGregor would fight again for UFC this year. McGregor’s actions now put any future fights very much in doubt.
CONDIT UPDATE: Albuquerque welterweight Carlos Condit will face Brazil’s Alex Oliveira on April 14 at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Ariz.
Oliveira (17-5-1) replaces Matt Brown, who withdrew due to an injury. Condit (30-11) was out of the Octagon for 16 months before returning in December with a loss by unanimous decision to Neil Magny.
Strawweight Michelle Waterson (14-6), Borg and Condit’s Jackson-Wink MMA teammate, is scheduled to face Cortney Casey-Sanchez (7-5) on the Glendale card, which will be televised on Fox.
The Journal’s Rick Wright contributed to this report.