Bernalillo County sheriff candidate Sylvester Stanley
- NAME : Sylvester Stanley
- POLITICAL PARTY : Democrat
- OCCUPATION : Retired law enforcement
- CITY OF RESIDENCE : Albuquerque
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE : 43 years
- EDUCATION : 14 years
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE : stanleyforsheriff.com
1. What would be your approach to making Bernalillo County a safer place?
My approach to make Bernalillo County a safer place is to have community policing, along with a partnership with the neighborhood association and be proactive with our property crimes and gang/narcotic investigations.
2. What differentiates you from your opponents?
I differentiate with my opponents by having a 20- year management and leadership career in law enforcement – retired as a first sergeant in the Army, police chief of three different departments – totaling over 43 years of law enforcement service.
3. What was your most important action during your law-enforcement career?
During my police career I have had the opportunity to work in three different communities as a police chief, where I was responsible for recruiting, hiring and training young men and women to be premier law enforcement officers.
5. Do you think the Sheriff’s Office deputies should use on-body cameras or dashboard cameras? Why or why not?
Yes, I believe that on-body cameras are important. It protects the integrity of the investigation by showing a complete picture from the beginning to the end of the investigation. I believe it minimizes the liability toward the department and county in lawsuits.
6. How would you ensure the Sheriff’s Office policies align with best practices?
By having members of the department and county legal review the policies on a regular basis and make the necessary changes if the sheriff’s department policy is outdated.
7. Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunk driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?
8. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
9. Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding
Yes, I have filed a personal bankruptcy case, however I withdrew the case before it made it through the court proceeding and took care of my financial obligations.