Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

APD: 5-year-old critically injured, grandma in stable condition after stabbing

Police investigate the scene where a woman and 5-year-old girl were stabbed Tuesday afternoon in northeast Albuquerque. (Matthew Reisen/Albuquerque Journal)

Police outside the home where they say a suspect broke in Tuesday afternoon after fleeing the scene of a stabbing several blocks away in northeast Albuquerque. (Matthew Reisen/Albuquerque Journal)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 5-year-old is in critical condition after police say her teenage brother stabbed her and his grandmother at the family’s northeast Albuquerque home Tuesday afternoon, according to a police department spokesman.

Officer Simon Drobik said the grandmother is in stable condition and police arrested the suspect after he fled the scene and broke into a home several blocks away.

Police were not yet naming the suspect, and gave his age at at between 15 and 17 years old.

Drobik said officers responded to the home in the 2900 block of Sierra NE, near Carlisle and Candelaria NE, around 12:45 p.m. after the grandson called to report that someone had broken into his home.

Drobik said police soon realized he was the suspect.

“We’re not exactly sure why he called it in and said his house was being entered, but we do believe that he’s the one who perpetrated the crime against his grandmother and sister,” Drobik said.

After the call, he said the teenager fled the scene and broke into another home, before police caught up with him.

Drobik said they do not believe there are any other victims.

Michael Lucero said his mother — who lives across the street from him — called and said a boy was standing in her living room.

“First thing I’m thinking, ‘there’s a little kid,’” Lucero said, motioning a small stature with his hand.

Inside the home, Lucero said he found a boy with no shoes, scraped knees and blood all over his arms.

“He’s crying, sweating, he’s got blood on his arms.” he said. “He wanted a hug from my mom.”

Lucero said he asked for the boy’s name, where he lived and other information but the boy answered “no” over and over.

“He told me he was fighting somebody,” he said.

Before Lucero could ask any more questions a neighbor pulled up outside and told him the police were looking everywhere for a boy in a pink shirt.

Soon after, police arrived and the boy ran out the side door and jumped on the roof of a shed in the backyard.

Lucero said he heard what sounded like a gunshot before officers brought the boy out in handcuffs.

“I didn’t know the situation — what he’d done before,” Lucero said. “Had I seen a knife, I would’ve pulled out my gun — the whole scenario could’ve been totally different.”



Suggested on ABQjournal