Daniels Fund contributions to NM top $100 million - Albuquerque Journal

Daniels Fund contributions to NM top $100 million

Eighteen years after he died, Bill Daniels’ impact still reverberates around New Mexico.

The Daniels Fund – established with more than $1 billion from the cable TV tycoon’s estate – has distributed more than $100 million worth of grants and scholarships in New Mexico, according to Linda Childears, its president and CEO.

That’s among the more than $750 million the private foundation has distributed since his 2000 passing.

“That is amazing to me,” said Childears, speaking to local business leaders Wednesday morning at the Albuquerque Economic Forum breakfast.

The fund concentrates its activity in the Western states where Daniels had strong connections: Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. A Colorado native, Daniels attended the New Mexico Military Institute, and had significant business dealings in Wyoming and Utah.

The foundation devotes 30 percent of its allocations to scholarships; the remaining 70 percent helps fund various programs through grants.

Childears said Daniels wanted his money to support specific causes – from aiding those grappling with aging, disabilities, homelessness or drug and alcohol addiction to supporting amateur sports. But he also made education a priority, and Childears said that has grown into the fund’s primary focus in New Mexico. That emerged from conversations with local leaders about how the fund could address what they see as the state’s biggest issue: poverty.

“We talked to all kinds of folks and said, ‘We could continue to do a lot of small grants, but if we did bigger grants and we did grants focused on education that eventually addressed the poverty issue, would that be a better long-term use of the dough?’ And that’s what we have done,” Childears said.

She said the fund has contributed more than $1 million to Mission: Graduate, a multi-faceted program meant to boost postsecondary attainment, and $4 million to an initiative to develop more charter schools. Daniels was a “big fan” of charter schools and liked school vouchers, she said.


Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com

Nativo Sponsored Content

taboola desktop

MORE ARTICLES LIKE THIS

1
Lawmakers scrutinize explosive growth of early childhood fund
ABQnews Seeker
Fund may hit $4B by 2025 ... Fund may hit $4B by 2025 thanks to robust taxes on oil and natural gas production
2
Stakes high for those held prior to trial
ABQnews Seeker
Lawmakers say pretrial detention reform would ... Lawmakers say pretrial detention reform would make public safer, process fairer for defendants
3
UNM included in 'Space University' program
ABQnews Seeker
Initiative part of Air Force effort ... Initiative part of Air Force effort to increase academic technology research
4
APS students to return to classrooms Tuesday
ABQnews Seeker
District will work around cyberattack that ... District will work around cyberattack that canceled classes
5
Rule change doubles number of cannabis plants for growers
ABQnews Seeker
Increase still may not meet demand Increase still may not meet demand
6
Man sentenced in fatal armed robbery
ABQnews Seeker
Police say suspect was one of ... Police say suspect was one of five students who planned to rob victim amid drug deal
7
Body found at the scene of early Monday morning ...
ABQnews Seeker
Building, which housed law offices, was ... Building, which housed law offices, was a total loss
8
Screening awaits NM Capitol visitors
ABQnews Seeker
Boosters are necessary for those eligible Boosters are necessary for those eligible
9
Former school employee convicted in sale of 3,000 stolen ...
ABQnews Seeker
Devices were meant for district Native ... Devices were meant for district Native American students
10
NM organizations awarded $530K in arts grants
ABQnews Seeker
Santa Fe Opera, ABQ's flamenco institute ... Santa Fe Opera, ABQ's flamenco institute get $75K each