ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Police say the evacuation of the KRQE TV studios over reports of a possible intruder has ended.
Albuquerque police officer Simon Drobik said Sunday night at about 10:50 p.m. that the station’s employees were allowed back in the building and the shelter-in-place for KOB employees in their nearby studio had been lifted.
KRQE staff called police at about 8:30 to report a man had entered their newsroom and sat down on the set, Drobik said. The building was evacuated at about 9 p.m.
Drobik said two police dogs searched the building, located near 14th and Iron SW, but no one was found. It isn’t clear where the man went.
“Given recent attacks on media outlets, we were not going to take any chances,” Drobik said.
A gunman entered the newsroom of the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland, this past week killing five people.
Instead of the regularly scheduled 10 p.m. newscast, Channel 13 showed only a black screen with the KRQE logo in the lower left corner.
Soon after the evacuation was lifted, a KRQE reporter shared a statement from management on social media, which said that an unauthorized person had entered the building, prompting a call to police.
“Our broadcast operations had to cease while police searched the premises,” the post read. “A little more than an hour and a half later police gave us the all clear and we were able to continue our broadcast operations.”
Everyone at KRQE is safe. We did not go on air tonight at 9 and 10 due to a situation that involved police. I will defer any further comment to my managers — but please know that we are all safe. Many thanks to the hard work of @ABQPOLICE!
— Madeline Schmitt (@madelinedenise) July 2, 2018